Located in the northwest of Yunnan province (527 km away from Kunming), Lijiang is one of the hottest tourist destinations in China even the whole world. Lijiang is well known for its wonderful natural scenery and interesting culture, including the Naxi Ancient Music, which is known as Jade Dragon Snow Mountain; Tiger Leaping Gorge; the “living fossil of Chinese classical music”; the world’s only “living” hieroglyph Dongba hieroglyphs; the Mosuo people who still has the characteristics of matriarchal, etc.
Lijiang is divided into the old and new town with Lion Hill (a local landmark) marking the “dividing line”. East of the hill isLijiang Old Town, and to the west is the new town district. The following are some travel tips for a wonderful Lijiang tour!
Best Time to Visit Lijiang
1. Lijiang enjoys abundant sunshine all the year around, favored with fresh air and charming natural scenery. It allows visitors to get there at any time. The best time to visit Lijiang is April, May, September and October, when the weather is the most pleasant.
2. You can also plan your itinerary catering for local festivals, such as the San Duo Festival (Date: Feb 8th of the Chinese lunar calendar); Torch Festival (Date: Jun 24th to Jun 26th of the Chinese lunar calendar); Mi La Festival (Date: May 15th of the Chinese lunar calendar), etc.
3. If you like snowy scene, you can visit Lijiang during January to March, but it still depends whether you are lucky enough to see the snowy scene!
Health & Safety
2. There are 13 ethnic groups living in Lijiang. When visiting their families, you should respect their etiquettes and taboos;
1. In the Lijiang Old Town, it is not allowed to ride the bike;
3. Lijiang has a clear annual distinction between the rainy and dry seasons. The rainy season lasts from May to October, extremely July and August. That’s important to know because heavy rains may result in debris flow, and keep safe during the trip;
4. Travelling in summer, T-shirts and trousers are enough, but it’s advisable to take some warm clothes in the other seasons. What’s more, don’t forget to protect yourself from the strong radiation from the sun.
Shopping & Entertainment
1. Square Street in Lijiang Old Town is the most traditional shopping place in Lijiang. Many shops sell various local products;
2. Lijiang Old Town is an ideal place to buy souvenirs and Naxi-style handicrafts;
3. Business hours in Lijiang (new town) are not fixed with most businesses operating from 9:00-19:00;
4. If you wander around town long enough, you’re bound to see the impromptu performances at a local park, along a stream, or even at someone’s house!